Captain Zodiac - Kealakekua Bay Snorkeling Tour
Explore the Big Island Kona Coast on 24 foot Zodiac boats with the Captain Zodiac Raft and Snorkel Adventure. During this Snorkeling on the Big Island expedition, you will be able to check out a variety of nature’s wonders that can only be experienced via raft. The small group atmosphere of the Captain Zodiac Raft & Snorkel Adventure allows for a personal and intimate tour.
You will love listening to the ocean’s sounds as your naturalist guide and captain shares Hawaiian history and folklore with you. You may see manta rays, dolphins, sea turtles, and other marine life as you zip across the ocean during this fun Big Island Snorkeling tour.
Only the Zodiac rafts can get close to the sea caves, lava tubes, wave-powered blow holes, and sea grottos that you will discover during your Big Island Hawaii Snorkel. You will learn how the island was formed as the Captains share their knowledge about the geology of the lava flows.
The destination for the Big Island Tour is Kealakekua Bay, West Hawaii. Kealakekua Bay is Hawaii’s finest marine snorkel preserve and the location of Captain Cook's Monument. Kealakekua Bay has incredible visibility and calm conditions. After snorkeling you will enjoy a tropical snack of fruit, fresh pineapple, chips, cookies and soft drinks.
- Enjoy the Original tour that Captain Zodiac has run for over 30 years!
- Rafting tour covers 14 miles of scenic shoreline on the Kona Coast
- See lava tubes, sea caves, blowholes and archways along the rugged shoreline
- Snorkel in the crystal clear waters of the Kealakekua Bay Marine Preserve
- Chance to see a variety of marine life, including turtles, dolphins and a wide variety of tropical fish
- Snorkel gear (high-quality silicone masks, Rx masks, fins, float boards or vests)
- Detailed snorkeling instruction
- Tropical snack of fresh pineapple, chips, cookies and an assortment of refreshing soft drinks
Please note: In Captain Zodiac's efforts to minimizing human impact on
Hawaii's environment, does not provide plastic bottles of water on the
trip. They encourage guests to use reusable water bottles and guests
are welcome to bring their own or purchase available ones at check in.
There are fill-up stations available at the office and on the boat.
Captain Zodiac Tour
Big Island Snorkel Adventure
Snorkeling at Kealakekua Bay
- Where and When:
- Check in at 7:45 am, Departure at 8:00 am, Return at 12:00 pm
Departs from Honokohau Harbor. View Map
Driving directions to Honokohau Harbor: Located approximately 5 miles south of the Kona Airport (fourth traffic light) and approximately 2 miles north of the town of Kailua-Kona (third traffic light). The harbor entrance (Kealakehe Parkway) can be found by looking for a sign on the highway marked HONOKOHAU MARINA between mile markers 97 & 98. After turning onto Kealakehe Parkway make your first right and look for a mall with a blue tile roof. Our office is the first on the right in the mall.
- Children must be at least 4 years old to participate.
Due to the bouncy nature of the ride, pregnant women or people with back or neck problems may not participate.
- Special Notes:
- Life jacket, snorkel and mask are provided. You are welcome to bring your own snorkel and mask.
This tour might not be available if a cruise ship is visiting Kona on the day of your requested tour day.
- Operation Days:
- Daily except Wednesday
If you would like to go rafting with Captain Zodiac later in the day, please see the 5 hour Beat the Crowd Hawaii Snorkeling Tour.
- 4 hours
- Captain Zodiac
- 16 passengers
- Tour is on a 24-foot Zodiac raft that is U.S. Coast Guard certified and inspected yearly by the U.S. Coast Guard.